Kent County Veteran Services and Disability Advocates of Kent County have teamed up to provide services to veterans with disabilities and their families. The purpose for this funding is to help veterans that are not eligible for other programs but are still in need.
Below are some areas of what Disability Advocates can help with.
- Home assessments for accessibility in residential homes based on the needs of the individual.
- Coordination with builders and contractors that can implement recommendations
- Assistive Technology devices and durable medical equipment
Additional Independent Living Needs
- Financial assistance with rent/deposit, utility bills, or other bills
- Home repairs for safety purposes
Employment Related Expenses
- Car repairs
- Tools or clothing necessary for employment
- Transportation costs until the person receives their first/next paycheck.
- 20-hour job skills workshop* that helps people with disabilities understand their rights under the ADA as well:
- Helps with resume writing
- Job exploration/shadowing
*New session starts the third Monday of each month. Contact John Koon at 616-323-2249 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more about the workshop or to get signed up!
- For people who are receiving social security disability benefits, Medicare, Medicaid, other state assistance.
- Key outcome of this service is for the person to gain an understanding of how your benefits will be impacted if you do go to work.
- Plan is individualized and specific to each person’s situation
This is not an all-inclusive listing of services that can be provided. Contact Trina Edmondson by phone at 616-323-2203 or by email at email@example.com to see if you qualify.